The second annual Jesuit Classic provided some very high-level matches last weekend for some of the best teams from around the country.
Defending champ Gonzaga defeated Xavier in a rematch of the 2010 national championship match to win the title, and McQuaid finished third. Dallas Jesuit won the consolation bracket, but defeated Georgetown Prep, the only common opponent between them and McQuaid, by 19 more points than the New York school, so we give them the credit for doing so. Both lost to Xavier by narrow margins.
Because Dallas Jesuit earned their climb, we had to move St. Thomas (Houston) with them, as St. Thomas defeated Jesuit 31-10 earlier in the season. St. Thomas also beat Westlake, another very good squad from Texas, in a high-scoring shootout last week.
There were two more Top 20 tournament winners last weekend, as St. Thomas repeated as champs of Gateway Ruggerfest in St. Louis, and Salesanium won their bracket of the Cherry Blossom in Washington D.C. In North Carolina, Providence edged West Meck 17-15 to assume second place behind Charlotte Catholic.
Fallbrook's high school season is over, but they have entered a team, made up largely of the same guys as their high school squad, in the Southern California U19 league, and they've been struggling. They lost to Belmont Shore, which is no sin, but did so by 59 points. They also just fell to Mustangs recently, which is the reason they drop four spots.
1. (1) Gonzaga. (D.C.) beat Xavier, St. Paul's and Fairfield Prep to win Jesuit Classic
2. (2) Sacramento Jesuit. (Calif.) Won 36-10 over Cougars and 40-14 over SFGG
3. (3) Xavier. (N.Y.) Lost to Gonzaga, beat McQuaid and Dallas Jesuit. 2nd in Jesuit Classic
4. (5) Charlotte Catholic. (N.C.) Beat Myers Park 33-7
5. (8) St. Thomas Aquinas. (Kan.) Won Gateway Ruggerfest
6. (6) Shaw. (La.) Beat Rummel 70-0, Br. Martin 29-13. In Louisiana semifinals
7. (7) New Orleans Jesuit. (La.) in Louisiana semifinals
8. (4) Fallbrook. (Calif.) Lost second U19 game this season.
9. (18) St. Thomas. (Houston) Beat Westlake 43-31
10. (19) Dallas Jesuit. Lost to Xavier, beat Georgetown Prep and St. Paul's at Jesuit Classic
11. (11) McQuaid. (N.Y.) Lost to Xavier, beat Georgetown Prep and Fairfield. 3rd in Jesuit Classic
12. (9) Brownsburg. (Ind.) Idle
13. (13) Jupiter. (Fla.)
14. (10) Westlake. (Texas) Lost to St. Thomas 43-31
15. (12) Snow Canyon. (Utah)
16. (14) St. Ignatius. (Ohio) Beat Mentor HS
17. (15) Penn. (Ind.) Beat Bishop Dwenger 28-5, Carmel 32-0
18. (17) Salesanium. (Del.) Won Plate at Cherry Blossom
19. (17) Greenwich. (Conn.)
20. (UR) Providence (N.C.) Won 17-5 over West Meck.