Even as we get into the playoff season in U19 rugby the prospect of ranking these teams gets harder. You see, it’s not as if there is a specific pathway from league to playoffs to territorial playoffs to nationals.
For some there is, but in other regions it all gets mixed up. A team that wants to play at nationals must sometimes skip out of part of its local season to go to the regional playoffs.
Sometimes no one in a league goes to regionals.
Have a look at Washington (state) for example. Liberty is the best team in that league, but opted out of the state playoffs in order to participate in the Pacific Coast playoffs to try to get to the national tournament.
That left other teams to compete for the state title, and there we saw a surprise, as Chuckanut faded late, and Budd Bay won in a slight upset.
Or look in the West, were Alliance won Texas, but didn’t finish as the top Texas team in the West; Woodlands did. Yes, it gets complicated.
We know who the top four or five teams are. The rest ? We’re doing our best. But the craziness has forced some changes, and an expansion to 30 for this week.
Subscribe to Rugby Magazine!
If you are HS, U19, or youth player, coach or parent, you can use the discount codes below to get a special discount AND raise money for your local State Based Rugby Organization
Just click on this link and input the code before choosing New Subscription and you get Rugby magazine for only $18.25 a year! $3 of that goes back to your SBRO.
SBNC11 (Northern California)
SBNC11 (North Carolina)
SBNH11 (New Hampshire)
SBNM11 (New Mexico)
SBNY11 (New York)
SBSC11 (Southern California)
SBSC11 (South Carolina)
SBWV11 (West Virginia)
Click here to subscribe!
RUGBYMag.com U19 BOYS Top 25
1. (1) Highland (Utah) Only one close match - to Colorado Springs
2. (4) Colorado Springs (Colo.) Colorado champs, close loss to Highland
3. (2) Belmont Shore (Calif.) SoCal champs
4. (7) United (Utah) Defeated Liberty, Hayward to make nationals
5. (5) Liberty (Wash.) Close loss to United
6. (6) Tempe (Az.) Arizona champs.
7. (15) Golden Gate (Calif.) Top in NorCal U19 Playoffs
8. (Unr) Hayward (Calif.) Close loss to United
9. (8) Cathedral (Ind.) Midwest champs
10. (16) Kansas City Jr. Blues (Mo.) West Champs
11. (14) West Shore United (Pa.) Won MARFU
12. (20) The Woodlands (Tex.) 2nd in West
13. (10) Alliance (Tex.) Close loss to Blues in West Playoffs.
14. (25t) Union (Okla.) 3rd in West, beat Alliance.
15. (12) Eastside (Ore.) Won big in Oregon playoffs
16. (11) Red Mountain (Ariz.)
17. (Unr) Maryland Exiles. Close second in MARFU
18. (Unr) Naples, (Fla.) South champs
19. (3) Westerville (Ohio) 3rd in MW
20. (Unr) Grand Rapids (Mich) 2nd in MW
21. (13) North Penn Iron Lions (Pa.) Won Pennsylvania
22. (19) Union County (NJ) Won Northeast
23. (21) Denver East (Colo.) 2nd in Colorado
24. (22) Oceanside (Calif.) 2nd in SoCal
25. (Unr) Budd Bay (Wash.) Won Washington state playoffs
26. (9) Chuckanut (Wash.) Second-best team in Washington
27. (17) San Mateo (Calif.)
28. (Unr) Southside (Minn) Defeated rivals Edina 24-10
29. (18) Barbarians (Ore.)
30. (25) Trojans (Ga) Georgia Champs
30. (25) South Mecklenburg (NC)
30. (24) Hilo Reign (HI)