The Collegiate All Americans have named their squad to face New Zealand Universities in this, the final match of their three-game tour of New Zealand.
Having lost to New Zealand Universities 17-10 and Wairarapa-Bush 30-23, the American collegiate are looking to finish off with a victory.
New Zealand observers were impressed with the All American comeback against Wairarapa-Bush, especially with the play of green but physically imposing lock John Cullen, and BYU flanker Kyle Sumsion.
Meanwhile New Zealand Universities Coach Ian Tulloch is not expecting Saturday’s match to be a walkover.
"The All Americans showed they liked to move the ball around and have some nimble backs with good pace, however we have a good mix of experience and youth who are more than capable of beating anyone on their day,” Tulloch told Allblacks.com. “The previous encounters between both sides have always provided free-flowing, entertaining rugby so we hope to see a good crowd come down for the match."
The New Zealand University squad is:
1. Morgan Poi, Old Boys University
2. Ben Murtha, Napier Pirates
3. Zek Sopaga, Old Boys University
4. Regan Hunt, Old Boys University
5. Marcel Renata, Auckland University
6. Tom Hughes, Massey University
7. Alex Wilson, Napier Pirates
8. Josh Dickson, Otago University
9. Aaron McPhee, Napier Pirates
10. Jes Verstegen, North Harbour Marist (Massey)
11. Andrew Jones, Canterbury University
12. Joel Duffy, Lincoln University – Captain
13. George Vance, Otago University
14. Jonathan Ruru, Napier Pirates
15. Clayton Stewart, Massey University
Reserves: 16. Jake Holmes, Waikato University; 17. Rob Sullivan, Canterbury University; 18. Sam McCahon, Waikato University; 19. James Raea, Auckland University; 20. Tim Smith, Old Boys University; 21. Jonte Lexmond, Otago University; 22. Broc Hooper, Lincoln University
Meanwhile the All Americans are excited about showing what they have learned in the final game.
“It has been a great tour so far,” said captain Ryan Roundy. “We've learned a lot and we've gained some great experience in our first two games. We've had glimpses of our potential and have played some great rugby, but a few too many mental lapses ultimately cost us the first two games. We have identified areas of the game we must dominate Saturday in order to finish the tour with a great win against the New Zealand Universities and we'll do everything that we can to do so. It will take a great team effort, but the guys are looking forward to the opportunity to end well and finish on a high note.”
On Friday evening the All Americans will attend a scrimmage between Wellington and Canterbury in Wellington. And on Saturday they will play at 1pm local time at the Lower Hutt Rec in Wellington. A nasty storm rolled through the city over the last few days, and while it is expected to weaken on Saturday, the conditions are still expected to be wintry.
All Americans lineup:
1. Paris Hollis, Life University
2. Michael Shepherd, Utah
3. Angus MacLellan, Davenport
4. Michael Lawrenson, Kutztown
5. John Cullen, Utah
6. Danny Barrett, Cal
7. Kyle Sumsion, BYU
8. Ryan Roundy (capt.), BYU
9. Jake McFadden, Life
10. Pat Sullivan, Arkansas State
11. Jake Anderson, Cal
12. Michael Haley, St. Mary’s
13. JP Eloff, Davenport
14. Madison Hughes, Dartmouth
15. Joe Cowley, Life
16. Glen Maricelli, Life
17. Eric Parson, Cal Poly
18. Shaun Potgeiter, Arkansas State
19. Jordan Badia-Bellinger, Claremont Colleges
20. Randy Pati, Utah
21. Stephen Tomasin, San Diego State
22. Josh Tucker, Cal